Since pure essential oils work chemically in the body, there is much we can do to support our emotions, our stress level, and all the physical systems in our body on an ongoing basis. Essential oils help bring our bodies to balance so that our bodies can do the ‘heavy lifting’ required to keep us well and healthy. Here are some simple ideas you can incorporate on a daily basis to give yourself some Body-Mind-Spirit love:
1. Oil Pulling – Oil pulling is an Ayurvedic technique used to help draw toxins from the body which in turn supports overall health. When you add 1-4 drops of essential oil, you can enhance your results. Simply put between 1 teaspoon-1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a spoon and add the essential oil of your choice (Lemon is a great cleansing oil and it tastes good!) – insert the spoonful of oils into your mouth and start swishing. Ideally you’ll swish for about 20 minutes, but most people need to work up to it. When you’re finished, spit the residue into the trash (it should be too toxic for regular “gray” water by now).
2. Add an immune support oil to the bottoms of your feet – this could include Melaleuca (Tea Tree), Oregano, Thyme, or a protective blend.
3. Add a grounding oil to your wrists, back of neck, over heart and breathe in. This could include Lavender, Vetiver, Sandalwood, Frankincense, Chamomile or any grounding blend.
4. Use 1-2 drops of internal-grade lemon oil in water or warm tea.
1. To help overcome “foggy brain” or feelings of mental fatigue, try putting 1 drop each Peppermint and Wild Orange in your hand, rub your palms together, cup your nose and inhale deeply a few times. Rub the residue on the back of your neck and across your forehead. Wow!!!
2. If you have a diffuser and would like a powerful focus blend, add 1-2 drops each of Rosemary, Lime and Peppermint.
3. If you would like a simply energy balancer, keep some Wild Orange on hand – inhale whenever you’d like a natural pick-me-up or a natural wind-me-down.
1. Recognize that every oil benefits the emotions as well as physical health. Often, the fastest and most effective way to relax and/or assist ourselves in thinking/feeling more positive is to simply inhale an oil we like. The olfactory system (our sense of smell) is the only sense that bypasses the logical part of the brain and directly impacts the limbic center of the brain where our emotions are created and memories are stored.
2. Keeping oils in the diffuser helps impact everyone in the room in a positive way. You can keep diffusers in your home, car or office (and yoga studio!)